Sunday, February 1, 2009

Emperors Are Immortal...

Rafa wins his first Australian Open at Rod Laver Arena, making Federer wait for some more time to equal Sampras's feet of GS titles. Well, for a moment after the match(infact during 5th set of the final), I started thinking whether Roger can still win another slam!!! This thought was obvious when I see no other player other than Nadal facing him again in a final. But when I saw the presentation ceremony, my love for Fed-ex only increased and for the first time (yup, I gotta admit this), I admired Nadal's response as well.

I have seen Roger's rise as a pro and his record stay at the numero uno position, and the same applies to Rafa as well. Now when I dissect both the player's journey to the top, the only differentiating factor which I find is the pace at which the Spaniard rose to the level where he challenged Federer. Now, looking at the way Nadal is playing, I wonder how the Swiss maestro has not changed his own game!!! I have seen the same Roger, same forehands, backhands and not to forget the aces over last 6 years. But I am not the only one who has seen the way the Rafa has played in last 12 months, I am more than sure Federer knows it better than anybody in this world. Even today when I saw him play, I expected him to be more aggresive, but the same old champ came out with his text book shots. And to my surprise I discovered something that largely is the factor separating these two kings of this sport in this decade. That is the power and thrust from Rafa's hand. When it comes to technique, skill & timing, Fed-ex is still the master. He can surely get back the lacking stamina, for his fans know that he is still has that hunger to win, and that is all it takes to play at the top.

Whatever it is, I love u Federer, as I am more than sure your tears does mean a lot to you and your fans. You rarely have shown any emotions on the court, but it takes a hell out of man to express his deepest emotion in front of millions of people and still win hearts. You were the king, you are already a legend and you will be reigning again.

Hail Roger, for all your achievements and you deserve it man.

Finally on my closing thoughts:
-> Felt good to see the Aussies going down to Kiwis. Their terrible form continues (after series loss from India and then from South Africans).
-> Ate a lotta prawns Mumma sent for me.
-> Feeling very sad for Federer and his post match presentation.
and
-> Wishing Mom & Dad A Happy Anniversary. (Sorry I was late)

3 comments:

Painting the Savanna... said...

Very true... that was a moment of glory and lament together... when fedex had tears in his eyes....

Subhajit said...

I can write pages about him...
Be it comparing with Pete or his rivalry with Rafa...

But he is one of the greatest of all time. And he simply does not have to prove anything to anyone.

Lincey said...

I can only comment on the concluding part of the post.

We are yet to eat prawns together ;););)