Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Where Is Your Kundli?

Things are going well & fine. I mean sometimes it’s going so fast that I want to have a pause; sometimes it’s too slow. I have got reasons for both. Details some other time. IPL fever is on rise and the fever is getting on the nerve for sure. Who all were saying shifting the tourney to South Africa will lose its charm; had to eat their words. Man, it’s India and you don’t need to play only in Eden Gardens to make it a hit. Wake up guys, this is a different age altogether. Taking a look at the political scenario, it’s getting dirtier everyday and the level is also decreasing. Even Mr. Advani is looking clueless. No need to talk about others. I am getting mad hearing same kinda news everyday. Let Mr. Singh come to rein us again, even if he says “Soniya ji se puchna padega” for everything. We all so-called intellects will talk about BJP but won’t vote, so let Congress take us forward to Gandhian age again! Oh, look at the democratic me! Sorry, politics is only on my other blog. This space is for some straight talk. I’ll stick to that.

While I was coming from office in the evening, I crossed a big automobile dealer which is also rumored to be the highest seller of a big automobile brand in Maharashtra. Two of my colleagues were accompanying me and suddenly someone said ‘tere ko pata hai, yahan pe kundli system chalta hai’. I could not get anything. When probed further, the other colleague said that ‘in logon ka final round kundli system hai’. I curiously asked them, are you guys talking about hiring policy here. To my utter amazement they said yes. I was pretty interested to know the details. They simply said that if you want to apply here for a job, then you have to clear their interview rounds and after the final round of interview, they will ask you for your kundli. Expectedly I asked them ‘why’? They said that’s their policy. I asked what if somebody’s kundli does not match!! Answer was ‘rejection’. I said is it some kind of a joke? For God’s sake, this 2009 and HR has travelled so long to reach a stage where it can call itself a strategic function than a support function. And still such practices are followed in organizations. It’s not a small firm; it has strength of more than 500 employees. This is disgustingly disturbing, regressive and simply a joke on the organizational practices in today’s time. I went blank after all these thoughts and thought what I am doing by talking so big to my employees about ‘employee branding’, ‘change management’….

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesomeIsaac Asimov

2 comments:

Lincey said...

I posted the comment twice, but was some error. Anyways, it is really thought provoking. I also visited your CiteHR link and saw the comments you received on this particular blog there. It is startling to know that even Aditya Birla is still following such practices. But not sure whether all its business divisions are following it!

I feel bad not to see comments here, it seems you have become popular in CiteHR!!!
Good One.

Sanat said...

Sorry for the late comment this time. Keeping busy for world of reasons these days. This is shocking to know man. I feel it’s an completely organizational decision, but as an individual I could not digest it.

Do not know what more to say. Keep us posted on such instances from time to time.


Love,

Sanat