Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hey You HR...

10 hours at workplace plus 1 hour for travelling. Add one more for getting prepared and settling down. Half of an IPL match and few mandatory calls. One bad lunch and one not-so-bad dinner. Then few tweets. Off to bed. This has precisely become my daily routine these days. No more time for social networking or blogging. Pizza & burger doses has lessened to almost zero. Am I cribbing? No, not at all. Cribbing is what employees do. I am a part of management, I represent management. That’s what corporates say about HRs. I have devised too many new things to be implemented in my company, few already are and few are in pipeline. Employee engagement is at an all-time high. End result??? Employees thinking all we are wasting their precious time, which they could use in catching an earlier bus back home. Am I again cribbing? Nah… It’s easy for any employee to crib just about anything and HR has to term it as a “grievance”. I spend 1 hour every evening on that, corporates call it EGR…employee grievance redressal. When an employee thinks only about going back home when done with his/her work saying who the bloody wants to stay back in the workplace; how do I think of designing a Kirkpatrick model of training to assess their growth & performance. Forget about understanding, do they even care about these HR initiatives? A gracious lady came to work at 6 in the evening and was arguing with me to allow her to start work for 3 hours, her shift timing was 9 AM. Her argument was she thinks the company belongs to her and she can come anytime to finish her work. As if our Ops team is waiting only for that lady to grace our floor. Sometimes I feel either they don’t understand management’s plans for them or may be I do not understand them. And these are the same employees who give feedback in anonymous survey about HR that we need sessions on professionalism! Apart from some 25-30 odd percentages of theories we had to study during our MBA, you won’t find a fuck of rest of the theories in practical corporate life. You may find a bunch of jokers with you whom you have to call your sincere & hardworking colleagues. You may find some jerk whom you have to call boss. It is said say you can’t choose your colleagues or your boss. But who the hell chooses them in the first place? Way out is just one thing: luck…. If you are lucky enough you get a good profile and a team to work with and a supervisor who understand and recognize what you do. Is this too much to ask for? Or is that such workplace matrix does not exist anymore? Then we need to stop these fucking much hyped surveys on ‘best places to work for’. I believe I am lucky enough…

2 comments:

$neh! said...

Very true Jit! I could recalled my previous workplace and some jokers, some jerks over there!
Even if you are a creative, responsible and an enthusiastic employee some so called jokers and jerks hamper your work style and ultimately it affects your output some or the other way.
And it is also crucial to get a good workplace where some one (your boss)is adoring your work plans and ideas thereby giving bestest of best to serve your organization. Even i am lucky enough working at my new workplace.

Subhajit said...

Hey Sneha! Thanks for dropping by my blog. And also thanks for ur nice words! Good to see u connecting to my thoughts. Would be great to see u around sometime or other!